The Madaraka Express Passenger Service offers two types of train service each making two round trips a day.
The train runs in the morning and makes stopovers in Athi River, Emali, Kibwezi, Mtito Andei, Voi, Miasenyi and Mariakani stations
The Express trains (Afternoon & Night) does not stop along the way during the journey.
Many people praise the modern train for its ease of use, short travel time, and amazing experience as it traverses 120 kilometres of the scenic Tsavo National Park.
SGR fares for first-class passengers currently cost KSh 3000, while an economy-class seat costs KSh 1000.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to book a Madaraka Express passenger train ticket online.
Madaraka Express SGR quick tips
- The SGR timetable is the same every day of the week and the train runs 7 days a week
- There is no SGR app to book tickets. You can only pay for the SGR via M-PESA mobile money, Book Online at the official Madaraka Express website (https://metickets.krc.co.ke/) or in person at an SGR station
- The Nairobi Terminus is a 20-30-minute drive outside the city centre without traffic. Due to traffic jams on Mombasa Road, the true travel time can be over 1 hour
- It can take another 30-60 minutes to get through security and check in at Nairobi Terminus.
- The Mombasa SGR terminus is also 30 minutes outside Mombasa. You can take a taxi or bus to the city. For beach destinations north and south of Mombasa, book a taxi or shuttle bus.
Madaraka Express online booking
- Visit the official Madaraka Express website (https://metickets.krc.co.ke/)
- Choose the Preferred train type (Madaraka Express for the afternoon or SGR Intercounty for morning travel)
- Select your starting station (Mombasa, Athi River, Emali, Kibwezi, Miaseny, Mariakani, Mtito Andei, Voi, or Nairobi)
- Type in or Select your desired destination (Nairobi, Voi, Mtito Andei, Mariakani, Miaseny, Kibwezi, Emali, Athi River, or Mombasa)
- Select your preferred travel date
- Click on the “Book Ticket” button on the homepage
- On the next page select the number of tickets you would like to purchase
- Choose the class of service you would like (First or Economy class)
- Fill in Passenger details, this includes your name, ID number, Gender, Nationality and contact information
- Review your booking details and click “Confirm” to proceed with the payment
- Select the payment option (M-PESA)
- Once the payment is successful, you will receive a confirmation email and a text message with your booking details and a QR code. You will use these details to print the ticket at the respective station (departing station)
N/B: You can buy up to a maximum of 5 tickets in one transaction 24/7 from the comfort of your home, office or even while on the go.
You can book your ticket seven (7) days in advance plus a return ticket as long as it is within a (seven) 7-day window period while group bookings of over 20 passengers must be made nine (9) days before the travel date.
You may also buy tickets over the counter at the Mombasa and Nairobi termini and at the respective departing intermediate station or by calling 0709 388888 and paying via M-PESA
Madaraka Express contacts
Passenger Service bookings: 0709 388 888
Passenger Service inquiries, complaints, lost & found: 0709 388 887
|Ticket Type||1st Class||Economy|
|Adult single-ticket||Ksh 3,000||Ksh 1,000|
|Children between 3 - 11 years old||Ksh 1,500||Ksh 500|
|Children below 3 years old||Free||Free|