In today’s digital age, online customer support has become an essential aspect of businesses across all industries. The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) has also recognized the importance of providing its customers with convenient and efficient support services.
As a result, KRA has implemented a live chat feature on their website to enable customers to chat with their agents in real-time. In this article, we will guide you on how to use the KRA live chat feature to get help with any tax-related issues you may have.
We will provide step-by-step instructions on how to access the chat feature, initiate a chat session, and effectively communicate with the KRA agent to resolve your query. Whether you are a business owner or an individual taxpayer, KRA’s live chat feature provides a convenient and quick way to get the support you need.
By the end of this article, you will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to confidently use KRA’s live chat feature to get the assistance you need with your tax-related queries.
What is KRA?
The Kenya Revenue Authority was established by an Act of Parliament, Chapter 469 of the laws of Kenya, which became effective on 1st July 1995.
The core functions of KRA include the following:
To assess, collect and account for all revenues in accordance with the written laws and the specified provisions of the written laws.
To advise on matters relating to the administration of, and collection of revenue under the written laws or the specified provisions of the written laws.
To perform such other functions in relation to revenue as the Minister may direct.
From the functions stated above, it’s noticeable that the Taxman has for sure improved the country’s taxation revenue since the agency was formed in 1995.
How to chat a KRA agent online
If you want to chat with a KRA (Kenya Revenue Authority) agent online, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the KRA website, https://www.kra.go.ke/, and click on the Contact Us tab on the homepage
- Below the Customer Support page, you will see a red button written ‘Ask A Question’
- Click on it to open an external link where you will see a floating button written ‘Chat With Us’
- Click on it and tap Yes if asked whether you would like to chat with an agent
- To chat with a KRA agent, enter the subject, full names and email address and hit Submit
- You will be required to login using an existing account or sign up if you’re not registered
- To register an account, enter your email address, username, display name, password, first and last names, KRA PIN (optional) and ID/Company R.Number (optional)
- After creating or logging into your account, you will be redirected to a new window where you will see your current number in the queue and estimated time, in minutes, when you will be attended to.
NB: Chat support is available from Monday to Friday between 08:00 AM anf 05:00 PM. It is closed on Saturday and Sundays.
Address: Times Tower Building, Haile Selassie Avenue, P. O. Box 48240 – 00100
Tel: +254 20 4 999 999 or +254 711 099 999
What is the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)?
The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) is the government agency responsible for assessing, collecting, and accounting for all revenues that are due to the Kenyan government.
It was established by an Act of Parliament in 1995 to replace the previous Department of Income Tax.
What are the functions of the KRA?
The functions of the KRA include;
– Assessing, collecting, and accounting for all revenue that is due to the government
– Administering and enforcing tax laws, including conducting audits and investigations
– Developing and implementing policies and procedures for efficient and effective revenue collection
– Providing education and guidance to taxpayers on their rights and obligations
– Facilitating trade through the administration of customs and excise duties
What taxes does the KRA collect?
The KRA is responsible for collecting a wide range of taxes, including;
– Income tax
– Value-added tax (VAT)
– Excise duty
– Customs duty
– Withholding tax
– Capital gains tax
– Payroll taxes (such as PAYE)
How do I register for tax with the KRA?
To register for tax with the KRA, you will need to complete the relevant registration form (depending on the type of tax you are registering for) and submit it to the nearest KRA office.
You will also need to provide supporting documents, such as copies of your ID, business registration certificate, and PIN certificate.
How do I file my tax returns with the KRA?
Taxpayers are required to file their tax returns with the KRA by the due date (usually 30th June for individuals and 30th April for companies).
You can file your tax returns online using the KRA’s iTax platform or by submitting a paper return to the nearest KRA office.
What are the penalties for non-compliance with KRA regulations?
Non-compliance with KRA regulations can result in penalties, interest charges, and legal action.
The penalties for non-compliance depend on the specific offense, but can include fines, interest charges, and even imprisonment in some cases.
It is important to comply with KRA regulations to avoid these penalties and maintain good standing with the tax authority.