Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) is the main power distributor in Kenya, providing electricity to millions of Kenyans across the country.
KPLC offers both postpaid and prepaid payment options for their electricity bills, allowing customers to choose the payment method that works best for them.
To make payments easier, KPLC designated specific PayBill numbers for both postpaid and prepaid customers.
In this article, we will take a closer look at these PayBill number and how customers can use them to pay their KPLC electricity bills quickly and conveniently.
The Kenya Power and Lighting Company PLC (Kenya Power) owns and operates most of the electricity transmission and distribution system in the country and sells electricity to over 8 million as at end of June 2020.
Its key mandate is to plan for sufficient electricity generation and transmission capacity to meet demand; build and maintain the power distribution and transmission network and retail electricity to its customers.
The Government has a controlling stake at 50.1% of shareholding with private investors at 49.9%. Kenya Power is listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
KPLC postpaid PayBill number
KPLC postpaid PayBill number is 888888.
KPLC prepaid PayBill number
KPLC prepaid PayBill number is 888880.
How to buy KPLC tokens
1. Using M-PESA PayBill
- Go to MPESA on your phone or use the MPESA app.
- Enter KPLC tokens PayBill number 888880.
- Input the amount you want to spend on the tokens.
- Enter your MPESA pin and accept the transaction.
2. Using USSD code
- Dial *977# on your Safaricom line.
- Select Prepaid Services; option 1.
- Choose Buy Tokens; option 1.
- Enter your KPLC meter number as the account number.
- Enter the amount you plan to spend on the tokens and wait for an M-PESA redirection.
- The M-PESA redirection will allow you to enter your pin and accept the transaction.
3. Using Bonga Points
- Dial *126# on your Safaricom line.
- Choose Lipa na Bonga Points.
- Enter the KPLC paybill number 888880.
- Enter your KPLC meter number.
- Enter the amount equivalent to the Bonga Points you want to redeem.
- You can enter a random figure like 100, 300, 500, etcetera, to see how much you qualify for
- Confirm the transaction.
- Enter your MPESA pin and wait for the 20-digit KPLC tokens
How to pay KPLC postpaid bill via M-PESA
To pay for KPLC postpaid bill via M-PESA, follow the steps below;
- Open M-PESA.
- Select Lipa na M-PESA
- Select PayBill.
- Enter the KPLC Postpaid Business Number 888888.
- Enter your Kenya Power account number.
- Enter the amount you wish to pay; between Ksh 100 to Ksh 35,000.
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and hit send to complete the transaction.
How to pay KPLC postpaid bill via Airtel Money
To pay for KPLC postpaid bill via Airtel Money, follow the steps below;
- Select Airtel Money
- Select Make Payments.
- Under PayBill Choose Kenya Power Bill to pay for postpaid bill.
- Enter the amount you wish to pay.
- Enter your Airtel Money PIN.
- Type your KPLC account number.
- Confirm that your details are correct and complete the transaction.
How to pay KPLC postpaid bill via Equitel
To pay for KPLC postpaid bill via Equitel, follow the steps below;
- From Equitel Menu, select Eazzy Pay.
- Select Pay Bill.
- Choose the bank account number to pay from.
- Select business number – KPLC Bills (Post Paid)
- Enter your Kenya Power meter number.
- Enter the amount you wish to pay; between Ksh 100 to Ksh 500,000.
- Enter your Equitel PIN and hit send.
Kenya Power contacts
Customer care: 95551 or 0703 070 707 | 0732 170 170
Telephone Number: +254 203201000
What is Kenya Power?
Kenya Power is a public utility company that is responsible for the distribution of electricity in Kenya. The company was established in 1922 and has since been the sole provider of electricity in the country.
What services does Kenya Power offer?
Kenya Power offers a wide range of services, including the distribution of electricity to homes and businesses, installation of new electricity connections, maintenance of existing electricity infrastructure, billing and payment services, and customer care services.
How do I apply for a new electricity connection from Kenya Power?
To apply for a new electricity connection from Kenya Power, you need to visit any Kenya Power office or customer care center. You will also need to pay a connection fee, which varies depending on the type of connection and location.
How can I pay my Kenya Power bill?
You can pay your Kenya Power bill through various channels, including M-PESA, Airtel Money, Equitel, bank transfer, and at any Kenya Power office or authorized payment outlet. You can also use the Kenya Power self-service portal to check your bill and make payments online.
What should I do if my power goes out?
If your power goes out, you should first check if your neighbors are also affected.
If they are, then it is likely a general outage and you should report it to Kenya Power through their customer care hotline 95551 or 0703 070 707.
If only your premises are affected, then you should check your circuit breakers and fuses before contacting Kenya Power.
How can I report a fault or request maintenance on my electricity infrastructure?
You can report a fault or request maintenance on your electricity infrastructure by contacting Kenya Power through their customer care hotline 95551 or 0703 070 707.
You can also visit any Kenya Power office or customer care center to report the issue in person.